Hi James,

Thanks for your answer, from that I understand that built-in functions as described in that post are a way to extend Phoenix, but to use each new function you should recompile and redeploy Phoenix.

Again, thanks for the information,

Greetings,

Juan

Hi Juan,
Good question. We're definitely interested in contributions for any built-ins that folks think are useful, provided that they're generally useful and follow SQL standards. In the past we've taken these and bundled them in the next release of Phoenix. So please feel free to contribute.

The JIRA you mentioned (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-538) is more about having a way for built-in functions to be dynamically loaded. We're open to that as well, but until coprocessors have a way of being "sandboxed", we'd need a way to disable the feature, as I suspect many companies would consider this a potential security hole (and thus want a way of disabling it).

Thanks,
James