Yeah I am actually having trouble reproducing it with a simpler example as well.  I was trying to do it but then ran into https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-926 my guess is the original issue I ran into might have something to do with indexes I was using.  Ill keep digging and file an issue when I can actually reproduce it with a similar example.