One other factor to keep in mind: these performance graphs in general measure a simple aggregate query that runs over all of the data. This is practically the "best" case scenario for these other products. For queries which are point lookups, the difference in performance will be much more dramatic: on the order of milliseconds for Phoenix versus tens of minutes for the other tools. I encourage you to do your own benchmarking. The reason (besides the obvious one that HBase is really good at point lookups), is that Phoenix is able to narrow down the set of rows being considered when you have a composite row key, while often other tools aren't.

Thanks,
James