From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Slow delete
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 17:19:02 GMT
Hi Kristoffer,
No, this isn't a known or normal issue. What version of Phoenix and HBase
are you using? What does your DELETE statement look like? Perf-wise, it's
best if you can:
* Batch deletes (any mutation, really) to cut down on RPC traffic. The
phoenix.mutate.batchSize config parameter controls that and defaults to
1000.
* Run as few DELETE statements as possible. For example, if you're deleting
by PK, then form a single DELETE statement with an IN clause in the WHERE
clause.
* Set auto commit on for your connection: conn.setAutoCommit(true) assuming
you don't have to issue a DELETE statement for each row separately.
* If you do have to issue separate DELETE statement for each row, then keep
auto commit as false and instead collect up batches of 1000 before issuing
a commit.

If you're doing all that, and it's still slow, check your logs for
exceptions and perhaps try issuing a delete from the HBase shell against
your table as a test.

Thanks,
James