From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Schema on read vs. secondary indexes
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2014 06:15:12 GMT
Hi Otis,
That's an excellent idea. Phoenix does support (1) & (2), but we don't
support adding a secondary index on a dynamic column. However, there's
really no reason why we couldn't - we've never had anyone ask for this. Our
mutable secondary index support is done at the HBase level, so as long as
only Puts and Deletes are done on the data, it should work fine. We'd just
need to add the syntax for dynamic column declaration for CREATE INDEX to
our grammar.

What's the use case you have in mind? Keep in mind too, that adding
secondary indexes has an impact on write performance (from the HBase POV,
your doing two Puts instead of one and there's some cost associated with
the incremental maintenance).

Thanks,
James