From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to drop table from Phoenix but preserve HBase table
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2014 21:17:32 GMT
Yes, phoenix.schema.dropMetaData is a client-side setting.

You can create a VIEW instead of a TABLE and your data won't be deleted.
However, performance won't be as good as with a TABLE under some
circumstances. Also, you wouldn't be able to use mutable secondary indexing
with VIEWs. Note also, the old data is still there - we've just added
Delete markers. You can actually connect at an "earlier" timestamp and
continue to query the old data:
http://phoenix.incubator.apache.org/faq.html#/Can_phoenix_work_on_tables_with_arbitrary_timestamp_as_flexible_as_HBase_API

Thanks,
James