From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hi, can Phoenix be used to substitute for RDBMS?
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2014 03:18:26 GMT
Hi Haebin,
Yes, it should be fine to pool Phoenix connections. Make sure you're good
about closing ResultSets and Statements so you're not holding on to
resources longer than necessary (as this is one thing that happens when you
close a connection).
Thanks,
James

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Frederick Haebin Na <haebin.na@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Thank you for the fast reply.
>
> Ah, what I am trying to do is that I am trying to move from sharded MySQL
> cluster to Phoenix.
> Phoenix was the least intrusive way to move from SQL to NoSQL (with SQL).
> So, I am somewhat reluctant to change the legacy setups and codes which
> include connection pooling mechanism.
> If I could pool Phoenix connection as typical JDBC connection then I don't
> really have to change anything but some configuration. Can I just think of
> Phoenix connection pool as an object pool since you mentioned that it is
> harmless to have Phoenix connections pooled?
>
> Cheers,
> Haebin

> Hello Haebin,
>> Each web service request should open a new connection through
>> DriverManager.getConnection(url, props) and then close the connection when
>> the request has been completed. There's no need to pool these connections,
>> as Phoenix is already managing that for you.
>> Thanks,
>> James
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Frederick Haebin Na <haebin.na@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all and James,
>>>
>>> I found the similar question [1] in the old mailing threads.
>>> The answer seems to be yes but I am not quite sure on one thing due to
>>> the answer you gave in [2] and [3].
>>>
>>> Typically, web services expects parallel requests, so there needs to be
>>> a pool to handle these  parallel requests since JDBC connections are not
>>> thread safe. So, for this case, don't we have to use connection pool?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Haebin
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/phoenix-hbase-user/connection$20pool/phoenix-hbase-user/wD0kk8E9JPo/Vb9PVtxDTR0J