From Justin Workman <justinjwork...@gmail.com>
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2014 00:13:56 GMT
I am seeing some odd behavior with indexes and want some clarification on
how they are used.

When I create an table in phoenix on top of an existing Hbase table, and
then create an index on this table, I can see the index get built and
populated properly, however no queries show that they are using this index
when I run an explain on the query.

However, if I create an seperete table in Phoenix and do an upsert from my
hbase table into the new table that I created, and create the same index as
on the previous table. Then my queries show that they would use the index
when running them through the explain plan.

Are we not able to create or use an index on a table we create over an
exiting Hbase table, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Justin