openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Markus Thoemmes" <markus.thoem...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Concurrency in invoker http client
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2018 17:08:22 GMT
Hi Tyson,

Ha, I was thinking about moving back to akka the other day. A few comments:

1. Travis build environments have 1.5 CPU cores which might explain the "strange" behavior
you get from the apache client? Maybe it adjusts its thread pool based on the number of cores
available?
2. To implement retries based on akka-http, have a look at what we used to use for invoker
communication: https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/commit/31946029cad740a00c6e6f367637a1bcfea5dd18#diff-5c6f165d3e8395b6fe915ef0d24e5d1f
(NewHttpUtils.scala to be precise).
3. I guess you're going to create a new PoolingRestClient per container? I could imagine it
is problematic if new containers come and go with a global connection pool. Just something
to be aware of.

Oh, another thing to be aware of: We **used** to have akka-http there and never tried again
after the revert. We're certainly on a much newer version now but we had issues of indefinitly
hanging connections when we first implemented it. Running some high-load scenarios before
pushing this into master will be needed.

I don't want to put you off the task though, give it a shot, I'd love to have this back :).
Thanks for attacking!

Cheers,
-m