openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Asynchronous communications (was: Please review our project's draft...)
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2018 08:21:33 GMT
On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 6:50 PM, David P Grove <groved@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> ...I don't think Slack is as good at going really deep into the details (turns
> into "walls of text" that are intimidating to catch up with when you come
> to them later).,,

I agree with that, that was my point earlier here as well.

> ...GitHub issues or email is still better here I think....

For mailing lists that only works (very well IMO) if people have a lot
of discipline in terms of quoting, sensible subject lines etc. I wrote
a "survival guide" meant to help with that a while ago [1] but this
way of using lists is unfortunately going away. Also because some mail
clients get in the way of Precise Quoting. It would be great to fix
that but I'm not sure if people are willing.

GitHub tickets work very well for such deep discussions IMO, also
because they naturally lead people to quote precisely, but currently
they're not as discoverable as threads on this list.

Making those cross-cutting discussion tickets easier to discover would
help a lot. Maybe using labels on the tickets, or maybe creating a
specific "discussions" repository.
https://github.com/apache/cordova-discuss is an example of that.

Once that's clarified, we might write down some project communications
guidelines which help people find out what happens where, as well as
how to efficiently stay informed of what's going on.

-Bertrand