openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating
Date Sat, 23 Jun 2018 09:39:27 GMT
Hi Rodric,

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 2:52 PM Rodric Rabbah <rodric@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 22, 2018, at 8:18 AM, Vincent S Hou <shou@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > ...I mean if only release this go client code, there is nothing we can run it against.

> And that is entirely fine per all the ASF docs I’ve read. Is there a requirement that
the code must be
> functional in some extended capacity?...

There's no such requirement for a podling release, especially not for
your first Incubator release.

I would expect that the released module has unit tests that pass when
building it, but that module not being usable in isolation is not a
problem, from the Incubator PMC's point of view.

Of course the ultimate goal is for OpenWhisk to release fantastic
software, we're not doing all this just to keep "the system" happy ;-)

But I think "priming the system" as Matt says, by releasing a single
module, will get us there faster and with less effort.

-Bertrand