openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Marth <mma...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Signalling production-state of an action
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2017 11:42:17 GMT
Hi,

in yesterday’s tech exchange Rodric mentioned that OW does not „know“ if an action is
in production or still in development stage.
The context of that comment was that we could consider to treat the activation log collection
separately (depending on the in-production-state).

In our OW deployment we have discussed a somewhat related topic:
How would our users move their actions from a development state to a production state. Consider
the user’s application to consider of a couple of actions. Once the actions actually are
deployed in production, then how would the users edit and test new versions of these actions
and deploy the new versions into production.
(note: this is a separate topic from the production state and CI/CD pipeline of the OW system
itself)

The concept we came up with is based on a namespace convention:
If a user is provisioned with the namespace e.g. “mynamespace” then that user can create
additional arbitrary namespaces separated by an underscore, e.g. mynamespace_dev, mynamespace_mytest123,
etc. We would treat everything with an underscore as non-production.

In case you wonder why we actually care: Knowing which actions are in production and which
ones are in development allows us to make decisions on how the activation logs are collected
and displayed, on alerting, on the events/feeds we pipe into these actions etc.

I wanted to present our thoughts here to get feedback on:
Are there better approaches we could look into?
Is there an interest for a mechanism in OW itself to represent production state (or simple
adoption of the convention described above)?

Michael