openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Raymond Camden <raymondcam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenWhisk shell tool
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2017 14:32:06 GMT
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 9:25 AM, Nick Mitchell <moosevan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It looks like it the shell has its own language, Is it documented? I'm
>> concerned that we're inventing a whole new language off the cuff...
>>

> the Shell is exactly like the `wsk` tool, in that there are commands. yes,
> it is a langauge, of sorts, but they really are just commands. the Shell
> supports all of the `wsk` commands. it augments them either to add
> functions `wsk` does not have, or to offer an alternative syntax that is
> (perhaps) more appealing.

Can I just say though - every demo I've seen so far has confused the
heck of out me. You didn't really answer the question on
documentation, and I think we *really* need something there to make it
a bit more usable. (If it already exists, cool.) It looks incredibly
cool, but the syntax is so... I don't know... cool (grin), that I
can't even understand it. What are the plans to explain the basics?
Again, not the wsk commands, I get those, but in your tool it looks
alien to me! (And I don't mean that as a negative, it looks super
powerful, just need help grokking it).

Raymond Camden, Developer Advocate at IBM

Email : raymondcamden@gmail.com
Blog : www.raymondcamden.com
Twitter: raymondcamden