openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Mitchell <moose...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenWhisk shell tool
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2017 14:38:10 GMT
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Raymond Camden <raymondcamden@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 9:25 AM, Nick Mitchell <moosevan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It looks like it the shell has its own language, Is it documented? I'm
> >> concerned that we're inventing a whole new language off the cuff...
> >>

> > the Shell is exactly like the `wsk` tool, in that there are commands.
> yes,
> > it is a langauge, of sorts, but they really are just commands. the Shell
> > supports all of the `wsk` commands. it augments them either to add
> > functions `wsk` does not have, or to offer an alternative syntax that is
> > (perhaps) more appealing.
>
> Can I just say though - every demo I've seen so far has confused the
> heck of out me. You didn't really answer the question on
> documentation, and I think we *really* need something there to make it
> a bit more usable. (If it already exists, cool.) It looks incredibly
> cool, but the syntax is so... I don't know... cool (grin), that I
> can't even understand it. What are the plans to explain the basics?
> Again, not the wsk commands, I get those, but in your tool it looks
> alien to me! (And I don't mean that as a negative, it looks super
> powerful, just need help grokking it).

fair points, raymond!

here is the current documentation story, which admittedly needs work.

1) there is a `help` command, which will show you the commands available in
your current context. e.g. if you have selected an action, then the `set`
command will show up in the help list. `set` can be used to CRUD
parameters. e.g. `set x=1`.

2) we have this page: https://ibm.biz/wskshell which, in addition to some
videos, has hexagons that introduce the command set. in addition to
introducing the commands, there are a few "scenario" examples, that show
how to use those commands for larger tasks. for example, there is a
scenario page on creating a web page.

more is needed, and i hope you all can help me prioritize the docs tasks.
please feel free to rudely ask for docs where they don't exist!

nick