openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Juraci Paixão Kröhling <jpkroehl...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Adding OpenTracing support
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2017 11:21:31 GMT
On 06/14/2017 12:31 PM, Michael Marth wrote:
> I was in discussions with Sandeep before he created the PR for Zipkin support, so I can
give some background info:

Thanks for the info! I have a couple more questions, if you wouldn't mind.

> As a part of better understanding and improving the performance characteristics of OW
we were simply looking for a way to profile the whole system. Zipkin seemed (still seems)
to be fit for that job. So from our perspective plugability was not much of a concern, we
“simply” wanted to get to the data.

Is that for tracing OW internals (like a logging mechanism), or to
provide distributed tracing capabilities to functions?

Also, any pointers as to why the usage of Zipkin directly, and not
Zipkin's OpenTracing-compatible libraries? Perhaps you need some Zipkin
feature that's not part of the OT standard?

- Juca.