ode-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Anderson <aander...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ODE, ODE 2.0, the Attic and the Incubator
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2019 03:52:30 GMT
 Thanks everyone for your positive feedback! Here are the milestone tasks I have been working
towards to have a kernel of functionality to extend from:
1. Create a Maven build project that supports modular extensions -  done
2. Create a server process that starts and stops an embedded Ignite server and OpenWebBeans
context - done
3. CLI interaction to run Ignite tasks - done

4. Configuration service including installing and uninstalling modules - currently working
on this
5. Process life-cycle - building Ignite tasks and caches to manage process instances TBD

6.  Compiler - translate source into sequences of instructions (executable) - I have some
code from a previous effort I intend to re-use TBD

7. Interpreter - load a executable and step through instructions, invoke instruction instance
providing executable and Ignite context TBD
8. Add individual Tomcat and CXF modules for receiving and sending REST requests - TBD

After this bare minimum functionality is available I would like to accomplish the following:

1. Create a partial SCXML extension
2. Create a partial extensible BPMN 2.0 extension
Creating two different extensions should highlight shared service abstraction and extensiblity
deficiencies.

To complete the prototype I would like to add assembly/composite deployment functionality
for managing and dynamically deploying source and binary artifacts to the platform such as
process definitions, static web content, Java libraries, etc. This would involve local file
caching and classloader management with a limited child CDI context. Given the complexity
of this work I plan on working on this towards the end of the prototype phase.
Based on my current progress and research of Ignite and OpenWebbeans I have a good idea of
how to do the remaining work. Two aspects I still need to do more research on is what format
the the executable and processes should be stored in within Ignite.

For the executable format I am leaning towards a namespace aware XML format, perhaps compressed.
Mapping XML QNames to Java annotations using CDI is straight forward and would also make it
easy to extend. For process instances I am looking into using the native Ignite binary format
but I need to perform some more testing to see how layering extended data into it would work.
Please let me know if anyone has any questions or would like further clarification on the
tasks outlined above. If it would be helpful I can check in all my latest code into my github
repo or even create a branch in the new git repository so everyone can see what I have done
so far.

Regards,
Aaron

    On Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 11:20:34 PM CST, Antoine Toulme <antoine@toulme.name>