ode-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Anderson <aander...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ODE, ODE 2.0, the Attic and the Incubator
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2019 03:03:26 GMT

Hi Rich,

As an ODE committer I would love to collaborate and modernize the existing ODE project. I
received several direct emails from ODE users who are also interested in working on a new
incarnation. Over the past few weeks I have been prototyping Ignite configurations and tasks
for use in a business process management platform and I am pleased with my progress. I am
fully dedicated to using this platform in a couple of internal applications I will be working
on over the next year and I would eagerly like to synergize with others through the Apache
Way. My current goal is to build functionality that satisfies many of the features I previously
outlined so that myself and others could have something extensible to work from. As I mentioned
in my previous communication process automation is big business and augmenting the mature
and feature rich Ignite platform could provide a convenient low cost alternative to the other
proprietary solutions in the space.

With all that said it is entirely understandable that the current ODE PMC members desire to
retire the ODE project to the attic and move on. I believe several of the members were part
of the original ODE software contribution and incubator process 14+ years ago. Over the last
few years interest in BPEL has diminished and they probably have no personal or financial
incentives to remain involved with the project even if it were to be revived.

If anyone else is interested in rebooting the ODE project now is the time to speak up. In
any event I plan to continue to share my work on my github repo.

Regards,

Aaron