ode-user mailing list archives

From Matthieu Riou <matthieu.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How does ODE's BPEL Engine recover in the event of system failure?
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2009 22:50:37 GMT
On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 12:17 AM, kodeninja <koffee.2.kode@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to find out about the recovery capabilities built into ODE. What
> kind
> of recovery does ODE provide in case if ODE itself crashes, or if a
> particular BPEL process instance within ODE crashes? Does it restart the
> failed process automatically? And does it do so from the beginning or from
> the point that the instance crashed?

If you stick with one-ways, yes. For two-way messages, the client connection
is usually lost so it's a bit more messy.

> Also, in case the process engine itself crashes and is restarted, does it
> restart all the failed process instances automatically? Or is there a way
> do so manually?

All transactions are going to be discarded and the process will be back in
the state it was before. Instances aren't failed in most cases, though.
There's also the special case of a crash just during a two-way invoke, for
which we'll force the invoke to enter activity recovery, which you can then
retry manually.

Matthieu