ode-user mailing list archives

From "Ford, Mark" <mark.f...@ll.mit.edu>
Subject Re: Reading from a DB/File in a BPEL process
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:13:31 GMT
At a minimum, you'll need to have WSDL that describes the services that you want to invoke
or receive messages on. If you deploy ODE to ServiceMix, then it would be possible to bind
the partner links to POJO's or other components. For example, setup a camel route that polls
a directory and sends the contents of an xml file into your BPEL process whenever a file appears.

If you want to explicitly model the interaction with a database or file system within your
BPEL then you'll need to look at vendors like Oracle that have implemented custom activities
for file and db access.

However, keep in mind that BPEL works with the abstract interfaces defined by WSDL so it's
best to think of everything as a service since once you start down the path of modeling interactions
with concrete bindings like SQL queries or inline Java code then you're making your orchestration
dependent on these bindings and more prone to break when things change. It also locks you
into the customizations provided by the vendor. A better approach is to keep at the abstract
level and encapsulate everything with interfaces - even if it's just a thin wrapper around
a file system or db.