ode-user mailing list archives

From Paul Brown <paulrbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OT: wsp:policy element in WSDL
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 20:28:06 GMT

Hi, Daniel --

> this is totally off-topic, so if you know a list I can ask this
> question, this would be pretty much welcome because I don't know one.

This is as good a place to ask about web services ephemera as any...

> Otherwise I was stumbling across the following:
> In nearly every tutorial you find about WS-Policy, an element
> <wsp:UsingPolicy  wsdl:required="true" /> is inserted into the WSDL.
> wsp
> is bound to the WS-Policy namespace. However, in the schemas available
> at http://www.w3.org/2007/02/ws-policy.xsd and
> http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/09/policy/ , there is no such
> element
> UsingPolicy. Does anybody know in which schema it is defined?

I don't think you'll find it in any schema.  If I recall correctly,
it's defined by the WS-Policy Attachment specs (the specs that define
how you mark-up, e.g., a WSDL or UDDI entries) to reflect the policies
attached to components.  The wsp:UsingPolicy element is a kind of
marker that goes in the WSDL as a poison pill for processors that
don't know what to do with it.

-- Paul, resident web services graybeard