ode-user mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject Re: Using a async BPEL process
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:19:29 GMT
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Håkon Sagehaug
<Hakon.Sagehaug@bccs.uib.no>wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was wondering if anyone could give me a short intro into using an a aync
> bpel process. I now got a sync one, but want to develop a async version.
>
> My little understanding when creating and async bpel process with eclipse
> bpel plugin, is that a client call the operation called initiate, and the
> final activity in the bpel process is the inovke of th callback operation
> of
> the wsdl.
> And the the clint can poll the onResult operation from the  web service to
> see if any results have come. Is this correct.
>
> For making full use of this do the client also need to implement a callback
> handler?

That's closer to the typical use case. Basically you have a process with a
receive and an invoke separated by any number of activities. The receive is
the first call, the process does its stuff and then calls back the client
with the invoke. That assumes the process knows "where" to find the client.

We have an example of async interaction for process to process here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ode/trunk/distro/src/examples-war/MagicSession/

If you intend to call the process more than once which is usually the case,
you'll have to get familiar with correlation. The above example uses
so-called "implicit correlation" which avoids correlation entirely for
process to process interactions:

http://ode.apache.org/implicit-correlations.html

Hope this helps,
Matthieu