ode-user mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject Re: Re: Ode Review
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:23:59 GMT
On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Andres P. Ferrando <andres@pruna.com.ar>wrote:

> Hi Matthieu,
>
> Ok, thanks! The documentation is mostly clear enough. It's also very
> important that you point out missing stuff also.
>
> The main thing missing in project documentation is dates. This dates are
> really useful to see project's health (how it's growing), and to know
> when to expect new stuff (for example, cluster support).

I usually try to put dates in the news section of the main page although it
seems we haven't for the last 3 events. I've just added dates for the
releases. As for the roadmap we usually never put dates or estimates there.
It's highly dependent on who volunteers.

> I see the project more focused on the core BPEL engine, and not that
> much in enterprise features (like Human Task support, clustering,
> security, transactions)

Not necessarily. Although historically we've tried to do BPEL right before
implementing enterprise features. But now we have a task manager that's
taking shape in the sandbox (
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ode/sandbox/singleshot/), support for
several security features has been gradually improved (a recent commit added
WS-Security with Rampart) and I think Karthick is working on transaction
propagation and atomic scopes (note that we've had transaction support in
the engine since day 1).

> Is there also any way to organize the roadmap, so it'll be clearer which
> things are done, and what's next?

We should work on that.

> I couldn't find info about release history or release plan.
>
> Do you know about any company providing commercial support?

I know Intalio does. I've heard of a couple of other names but I don't know
what's their respective status so I'll let them speak for themselves.

Cheers,
Matthieu