ode-user mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject Re: Asynchronous
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 14:30:51 GMT
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Jean-Claude Moissinac <moissinac@enst.fr>wrote:

> Hello
>
> We need some advise about time consuming services
>
> My simplified scenario is:
> a BPEL calls a service which is time consuming
>
> first case: this call is synchronous and I get a timeout on the
> request  from the BPEL to the external service
> second case: this case is asynchronous, the time consuming service
> returns immediately after the begining of the process it is in charge
> then if the BPEL is waiting for the end that process, it is the
> request to the BPEL itself which fire a timeout, because the BPEL
> seems to be nor responding
>
> So, it is not the BPEL which must wait for the external process called
> by the BPEL, but the caller of the BPEL
> But, how the caller of the BPEL will know how many external services
> are called by the BPEL?

The caller of the process doesn't know but the process does (or more
accurately the process designer). Knowing that you're invoking long-lasting
operations, you should model your process to only accept an asynchronous
invocation and then call back the client later on when the processing is
finished.

Matthieu