ode-user mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject Re: Database Size
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 13:54:51 GMT
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:08 AM, Ciaran <ciaranj@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:33 AM, Alex Boisvert <boisvert@intalio.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Vipul,
> >
> > In your case, you can run the process "in-memory"
> > http://ode.apache.org/user-guide.html#UserGuide-Inmemoryexecution
>
> The restriction on in-memory processes not being query-able, is that likely
> to remain,  for my purposes  (and I admit I'm probably alone on this) I'm
> only really using BPEL for orchestrating short-lived processes so I don't
> need them to have multiple receives/correlations and I definitely don't
> need
> the process engine to retry failures for me, but it would be really useful
> to be able to see the last few tens of process calls, don't get me wrong I
> can see how I can switch between in-process and on-database and write a
> script to clean-up which probably solves my issues, but just for interests
> sake is this restriction likely to remain  ?

Yes it is. It's more a technical restriction than just something nobody
would care to implement, In-memory processes are not here to stick around
and making them sticking around would actually be a big memory leak. Not to
mention that in-memory querying is always delicate (which is why SQL
exists).

> For example can I configure ODE to use HSQLDB or something for temporary
> in-memory storage of processes ?

You could, that's actually what we do for some of our tests. But then you'll
still have to purge the database once in a while.

If you 're only interested in the last 10 invocations or so I would
recommend you to use process events to keep that information. That way you
could have all your processes in-memory and retain only the type of event
you want for as long as you want for your own purposes.

Matthieu