ode-user mailing list archives

From "Jens Goldhammer" <jens.goldham...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Logging from BPEL script
Date Wed, 07 May 2008 09:57:20 GMT
Hello,

just my two cents.

2008/5/6 Nowakowski, Mateusz <Mateusz.Nowakowski@sabre-holdings.com>:

> Thank you
>
> I've also think about this workaround... but we didn't decide to do that
> way, because it is too complicated and resource consuming... logging should
> be as fast as possible...
> I think that log activity should be present in the standard, but the
> behavior should depend on the implementation.

Maybe you can log with an esb. If you want a fast implementation, you can
take Synapse (synapse.apache.org) or WSO2 ESB(Synapse+Admin Console,
www.wso2.org). It is very easy to define mediations which log your
soap-messages and they have a streaming api based on AXIOM. They work on the
integration of ODE (
http://wso2.org/wiki/display/esbjava/WSO2+Enterprise+Service+Bus+Roadmap)
and want to enhance the monitoring part of their esb. Maybe they will
implement a mechanism to log steps from ODE? I don´t know exactly, maybe you
can ask them on the mailing list...

> BPEL/ODE is annoying me slowly... It is very difficult to do very easy
> things and we need to discover very ugly workarounds to make things work

But I think this is not the intention of BPEL to do easy things. BPEL is
only valuable if you have parallel service calls or by using the
bpel4people-spec which is not present in ODE where you can use generated
user-interfaces for inputs to your process. BPEL still lacks on great tool
support, faultless os server implementations and the mentioned reuse
problem. The declarative programming has not only its good sides :-) Open
Source has not the variety (ODE is good, but still have some faults)-
commercial software is in general very heavy (think of IBM Process
Server)... Maybe you can have a look at ActiveBPEL...

I think, it would become easier if bpel would define interfaces how to
interact better with the bpel server. The human-task-api of ibm shows how it
can be done in a small part. If you have a good java-framework like jbpm or
something else, you can do a lot of the bpel-stuff in java and just better
and faster!
Sorry, but that´s my opinion for today. Maybe it will change in future?