ode-user mailing list archives

From Ciaran <ciar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Axis Namespace prefix generation
Date Wed, 21 May 2008 22:22:48 GMT
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Alex Boisvert <boisvert@intalio.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 3:52 AM, Ciaran <ciaranj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm currently evaluating the possibility of moving to ODE from
> ActiveBPEL,
> > currently it seems that for a single thread, ActiveBPEL performs better
> > end-to-end for a like-for-like BPEL flow, (ActiveBpel ~300ms, Ode ~700ms)
> > but seems to scale considerably better for multiple threads,  has anyone
> > else seen this behaviour, or has anecdotal information on the comparative
> > performance ?
>

> I don't have comparative data but I'd be interested in profiling your
> use-case to see if there's something inherently slow in what we're doing.

If I can prove that I can use this orchestration engine to solve my issues
I'll be able to point my own profilers  at our real running flows (which are
a tad too large [several hundred activities]  to e-mail around ;) ) and feed
back the information on where my issues [if any] are :)

> > Also, one thing that concerns me, is looking at my load-tests it seems
> that
> > ODE is generating unique namespace prefixes for *every* element in each
> > response document in the workflow (and presumably the documents
> > created+consumed during the running of the BPEL processes).  In my
> > particular case the set of namespaces used by the BPEL workflow is static
> > and known at deployment time, so I'm perplexed why every single element
> > gets
> > its own unique-prefix un-necccessarily, could anyone please explain this
> > me, an example response is as follows:
>

> What?  You don't like this new feature of Axiom?? :)
>
> It's possible this is Ode's fault since we had to implement a few
> workarounds in namespace handling to avoid prefix clashes in previous
> versions of Axiom/Woodstox.  I guess we could review this code to see if we
> can avoid it now.   Could you file a Jira?

Done, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODE-290  . I use Woodstox with
XFire in my app without issue,  I'm not familiar with AXIOM though :(   Its
not a *major* issue, but I worry that it may run out of numbers with too
many requests, plus the numbers appear to be unique across *all* requests in
the VM, which implies some synchronisation somewhere that could probably be
avoided ?

> Also I'm interesting in writing an AJAX explorer for
> > the ODE process instances, has anyone else been down this route already ?
> > Many thanks :)
>

> Milinda is just getting started on an AJAX management console for Ode.
> Check out the recent ode-dev archives and I'd invite you to follow the
> dicussions and get involved.

I'll do this, I had actually got a Process->Process
Instance->Scope->Variable explorer up and running until one of my team ran
into the 'blocking' issue discussed in another thread :)

- Ciaran