ode-user mailing list archives

From Amin Anjomshoaa <anjomsh...@ifs.tuwien.ac.at>
Subject Re: Keeping the order of incoming events
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:31:44 GMT
Hi Alex

Alex Boisvert wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Amin Anjomshoaa
> <anjomshoaa@ifs.tuwien.ac.at <mailto:anjomshoaa@ifs.tuwien.ac.at>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for your attention. Yes, the correlation is working
>     correctly and request is forwarded to the correct instance. The
>     issue is, when process is waiting for a specific message (let's
>     say message B) and accidentally another message arrives, then ODE
>     reacts with a timeout !
>

> If you're calling a request-response operation using a synchronous
> transport, I think the engine should return an error back to the
> caller right away.
That is exactly what Apache ODE does NOT do. All the operations in my
project are request-response and I am using SOAP over HTTP to test it.
When the correct message is arrived, I get the response and process
continues, but for the out of order messages (I mean messages that
should arrive in the next steps), ODE returns the timeout after a while.
I am going to provide an example for this to clarify the issue.

>     A real world example: in an e-commerce platform the delivery can
>     not be started before payment. So if a delivery message arrives
>     before payment, process should react with a exception.
>     I will wait for a while and if no solution is posted by other
>     users, will file a bug.
>

> Well, I agree with you but only to a certain extent.   E-commerce
> protocols are usually defined in terms of one-way operations (usually
> with reliable delivery), not request-response operations.  So in this
> those cases, the messages would be queued for the instance to process
> them later on.   So I think we're talking about a different use-case here.
>
> alex

Your are right, using this use case I wanted to demonstrate the order of
incoming messages only.

Thanks
Amin