ode-user mailing list archives

From Paul Brown <paulrbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: read timed out after ..
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 06:38:18 GMT

Hi, Henry --

On Mar 17, 2008, at 11:10 PM, henry human wrote:
> It seems that the timeout in Bpel process should be
> set because in my scenario the Bpel process calls
> other service to do something .In short, the caller is
> the Bpel process itself. But as described this service
> breaks down after 30 seconds.

That sounds very much like the usual value.

> Do you know how to set the timeout in the Bpel process
> call to the service?

At least the last time I looked, there are a couple of places where
you have to look:

1) The timeout for the servlet container where the Ode WAR is deployed.
2) The transaction manager.

You can stretch those two out a bit, but you'll reduce the throughput
of the application in the process (maximum number of open network
ports, open transactions, etc., is constant per unit time).  In
practice, you want the network timeout to be longer than the
transaction timeout so that you won't have the backend operation
complete without the remote client getting an "OK".

If you can manage it, try altering your process so that it's long-
lived and provides a status port that the remote client can use.

Hope that helps.

-- Paul