ode-user mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: new ode user
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:26:44 GMT
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Mohammad Shamsi <m.h.shams@gmail.com>
wrote:

> my company want to chose an open source Workflow engine.
>
> i worked with OSworkflow  and JBPM before. can any tell me some ODE
> advantages and benefits in compare with other workflow engine such as OS
> workflow or JBPM ?
>
> where can i found companies that use ODE as a workflow engine ?

Hi Mohammad,

Apache ODE isn't a directly workflow engine, it's an orchestration engine
based on BPEL.  The main difference being that Ode doesn't natively
understand workflow concepts like tasks, people, escalation, etc.  Instead,
Ode can natively invoke many types of web services that may include workflow
services.  In other words, Ode can do workflow and it can do a whole lot
more.

The BPEL4People specification is a set of extensions that bring some of the
worklfow concepts natively into BPEL.  Apache Ode doesn't implement
BPEL4People extensions yet, although it's been requested before and it's on
our roadmap.  In the mean time, you can still implement workflow functions
using external services, either by writing your own or integrating with an
existing workflow solution.  Intalio Tempo (http://tempo.intalio.org) is an
open-source example of such approach.  Tempo implements BPEL4People and
workflow concepts without extending BPEL.

If you want to get a glimpse of companies using Apache Ode, you can take a
look at Intalio's customer list (
http://www.intalio.com/customers/industry-verticals/).  Our BPM solution is
based on Apache Ode.

cheers,