ode-user mailing list archives

From Tammo van Lessen <tvanles...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ode and GSoC
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:29:29 GMT
Hi Milinda,

> If you think I have enough qualifications for this project, can you
> please provide more details about this project. It will be really
> helpful when preparing the proposal.

absolutely, that sounds great.
Straight from my mind, here is an item list on what I've in mind:

   o Management
     o deploy/undeploy BPEL deployment bundles
     o start/retire process models
     o suspend/resume process instances

   o Monitoring
     o List process models and some metrics (with filters)
     o List process instances, their status and some metrics (with filters)
     o Process instance explorer (displays the process model either
graphically or in xml and shows highlights the current navigation step,
variable inspector)

   o Metrics
     o # of process instances
     o # of active instances
     o # of messages received
     o # of messages sent
     o date of last navigation
     o activity (some mixture of the metrics above)
     o (some internal metrics?)
     o ...

Some sugar would be to think about how to gather and display metrics on
business data.

(Additions/restrictions/comments are welcome)

Regarding the implementation I'm pretty unemotional. In general I prefer
lightweight solutions. I personally like Spring/Spring MVC with some
Ajax abstraction layers but this should be subject of discussions on the
  dev list because it affects packaging/dependencies. Since a monitoring
application is mostly a "read-only" app, you could also check whether
extjs.com can serve as a well-suited basis (additionally it's damn good
looking ;)). AFAIK ext is a pretty comprehensive javascript framework
and doesn't need that much view logic on the server side, so even JSPs
may do the job.

I'm looking forward to receiving your application (via google), if you
have further questions, don't hesitate to ask me :)

Cheers,
   Tammo