ode-user mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Problem with XML Manipulation
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:51:26 GMT
On 10/16/07, jbi joe <joe@daggerpoint.net> wrote:

> I have an XML doc that is moving through the ODE
> engine, BPEL and getting processed to invoke a endpoint.
> I need to be able to search through the XML and move
> a field, or fields to other fields and or add additional
> fields.  For example,  ( see xml below) I want to take
> the value of the order tag and insert it to the today
> tag, to replace the "Null" value.
> Here is a XML snippet, that I never know exactly
> waht it may contain..  It is simply a list of tagged data.

To guide your decision, here are the options available today:

1) BPEL assignments -> Doesn't work well with "dynamic" data (no fixed
schema)
2) XSLT -> Works, although a bit complex to write by hand.  Easier with XSLT
tooling
3) XPath Function Extension -> Powerful but need to write some Java code
4) Invoke web service for data transformation -> Powerful and flexible but
significant effort and performance cost
5) Javascript E4X -> Convenient and flexible, but only available on
ode-trunk which is not yet stable

Based on the above, I would recommend #2 or #3 depending on your XSLT/Java
skills.   For #3 you can check out the technote I wrote on Custom XPath
Functions<http://www.intalio.org/confluence/display/PXE/Custom+XPath+Functions>
.

alex