ode-user mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Management APIs
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:56:28 GMT
On 9/14/07, Lavanya Ramakrishnan <laramakr@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

> I am looking at bpel support and the management APIs in Apache ODE and had
> a few questions regarding the same.
>
> 1. Is the forEach construct fully supported in ODE? The text below that on
> the website seems to be missing.
>
> http://ode.apache.org/ws-bpel-20-specification-compliance.html

Yes, both sequential and parallel semantics are supported.   I'll update the
page.

2. The InstanceManagement interface seems to have a suspend and resume
> operations. Is it possible to do a partial suspend and resume e.g. on a
> particular branch? For example if there were two activities A and B
> executing in parallel, I would like to suspend A and not B.

Like Paul said, it's possible internally but it's not exposed through the
InstanceManagement API.  You're first to ask!

3. According to the Java documentation linked from the website the
> management APIs seem to return
> org.apache.ode.bpel.pmapi.ScopeInfoDocument,
> org.apache.ode.bpel.pmapi.InstanceInfoDocument, etc. But when I look under
> the package  org.apache.ode.bpel.pmapi I can't seem to find any of these
> classes. Am I missing something?

They are generated during the build from the .xsd schema.   I'm guessing the
javadoc didn't pick up the generated classes.

4. Is there any support available or planned for allowing modifying to
> workflow instance during execution? For example, change an activity that
> has not been executed so far.

If you know what you're doing, it would not take much work in the engine to
allow this.  However my take on the subject is that we are a few
Ph.D.'saway from a sane model to safely allow dynamic changes to
process models.
Based on my experience, I would say the better investment is to break down
processes into shorter-running and more composable pieces.  Workflow
generally requires a more malleable design where state and transitions are
modeled as dynamic/malleable matter rather than defined as static program.
Consider BPEL4People as a step in that direction.

5. Also between the failurehandlers in bpel and the recovery extensions in
> Apache ODE, is it possible to register an external service to be invoked
> for remediation?

There's no such direct facility at the moment, although the engine generates
events for these cases so it would be possible to build something out of the
existing event handler mechanism.  So I guess it would depend on the
needs/design you have in mind.

cheers,
alex