ode-user mailing list archives

From "Rich Taylor" <bhamtay...@gmail.com>
Subject Process versioning / states
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:07:56 GMT
Hello all,

If I deploy a bundle foo-1(with a process bar-1), I get version 1 of the
bundle and process.  If I then redeploy the same bundle possibly with some
updates to the process, I get foo-2(bar-2).  While redeploying I see that
process bar-1 has its state set to RETIRED.  This makes sense.    Some
questions:

1. After restarting the Ode server, I see that foo-1(bar-1) is again started
up.  I understand this is for any long running instances of this process.
But I was thinking that the old versions of the process would not live
through server restarts and apparently live forever, even with no instances
are alive/created.

2. That said, for undeployment, do you explicitly need to undeploy each
version of a process if it was deployed multiple times?

3. Going further on the same subject, would there be some way to configure
Ode to delete previous versions upon redployment if there were no long
running instances being run?   Or is there a better way to manage previous
versions of a bundle/process?

We're looking at a scenario where someone is working in the Eclipse BPEL
designer for example, and deploying every 2 minutes when they make tweaks to
their bpel process (during development).  After a while, there are
_numerous_ versions of the same process deployed that will be around forever
if I understand correctly.  I'm looking at how best to manage that.

Thanks!  Rich