ode-user mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matthieu.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Compile error on <wsdl:import>
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 21:20:33 GMT
Hi Rich,

We had some support for it at some point in time but it was partial, which
is a way to say mostly broken. There are many hidden hurdles when
implementing this on non trivial cases (which is actually most of the cases
we have to support). Here are a few examples:

* So you start getting the remote file but it imports other files, what do
you do with them? You obviously have to download them as well so you start
with a recursive problem.
* What do you do with everything you download? Keep them in memory and
download every time? Not so nice (especially when one of the servers you
download from isn't reliable). You save them locally? Now you have a URL
rewriting problem as well as all import locations have to be changed and you
have a repository of documents to maintain.
* Alternatively when downloading you can start in-lining things to get a
single file locally, that solve the import location rewriting problem but
in-lining itself is not really trivial either.
* What do you do when somewhere along the way of imports is either not there
or the server is down? HTTP is not a very reliable protocol. You have no
choice but to fail the whole thing, which is not always the smartest thing
to do. And the files you saved along the way? Keep them? Damp them?

And these are just on top of my head, I'm sure you can find many others.
Implementing this, you end up with a pretty big, hard to test, piece of
code. So when we refactored our deployment model we decided to save
ourselves some time and pain and not support it.

But that doesn't mean we're against it or anything. It's just that it would
have required far more effort than what we were ready to give for this
feature, so it's more on the "hasn't been done yet" side. If somebody is
very interested in it and is ready to give it a shot (including tests), we'd
welcome this contribution in ODE with open arms :-)

Cheers,
Matthieu