ode-user mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Does ws-bpel support local operations which are not released to web service?
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:23:14 GMT
Hi Van,

While keeping in mind that BPEL was designed to solve the "programming in
the large" problem, there are multiple approaches to carrying "cheap"
compute operations in BPEL:

1) Using XPath function extensions
    (Note that your functions should ideally not have any side-effects.)

2) Using an integration layer that supports in-VM code invocation
    Both JBI and Axis2 integration layers allow you to do this (although
both require in-memory XML representation)

3) Extending the language with custom activities  (e.g., BPEL4J)

4) Extending the language with custom expression language
    (We already support XPath 1.0/2.0 and call-outs to XSLT 1.0/2.0)

So far, my experience is that using #1 and #2 is best for most
environments.   If you're thinking about #3 and #4, it's often worth
revisiting your SOA architecture first and making sure you are correctly
following the design principles (e.g., coarse-grained services,
loose-coupling, etc.).   The benefits of extending the language need to be
judiciously weighted against the loss of portability of your processes as
well as creating and sustaining a toolset that supports language extensions.

regards,
alex