ode-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Brown" <paulrbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Compile error on <wsdl:import>
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 21:25:36 GMT
On 7/25/07, Rich Taylor <bhamtaylor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex and Gang, do you know if this was an intentional design decision to
> not support remote wsdl/xsd/etc. references or is it something that simply
> hasn't been done yet?  I can see the pros and cons of each, just trying to
> understand why "it is how it is".  Thanks! Rich

At least from a historical perspective, this was a bit of a mess.
Once upon a time, PXE (which merged with BPE to become Ode) had a
resource repository where external resources (e.g., WSDL documents,
schema, etc.) could be stored by URI.  The repository would get loaded
over the course of a WSDL parse, but this had a host of issues, not
the least of which was usability -- which URIs are equal?  what
encoding is used?

On the flip side, resolving resources at runtime has reliability and
security issues -- can you see it?  Do you see the right one?  Is the
host up?  Did it change since the last deploy?

The easiest thing to do (for everyone) is to force the user to
assembly a definitive collection of artifacts with correct
cross-references and go from there.

-- Paul