ode-user mailing list archives

From "Rich Taylor" <bhamtay...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: build from trunk failing
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 18:40:23 GMT
On 5/31/07, Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com> wrote:

> Hopefully, each new release of Buildr fixes old bugs, without breaking
> anything new. (For example, 1.1.2 fixes some issues with OS/X, but doesn't
> break any of our builds). But there's always the possibility that we might
> break something, especially when upgrading from, say 1.1.x to 1.2.
>
> So the idea we came up with is to freeze the Rakefile to use a particular
> version of Buildr. It's not mandatory when using Buildr, but something
> we'd
> like to do in Ode. Ideas on how to make it simpler/better are welcome.

Is there a way to install a particular version of a package using Gem?  If
so, it might be good to tell people how to install the "Ode" version of
Buildr when using "gem install buildr".  Or else everyone will likely run
into the same problem I did.  Unless I'm misunderstanding the problem, I am
new to Ruby, Gem, etc.

- When tyring to build, tests failed and I had to dig for a while to find
> > out about "test=off"
>

> We left it as an undocumented feature to discourage people from skipping
> tests :-)

While I completely agree that people shouldn't be skipping tests, it's not
always your own code that you're trying to skip tests on.  When someone
else's tests are broken but you still need to build it, this can be a
necessary evil.  So I appreciate the goal but I burnt quite a bit of time
finding "test=off" and I doubt I'm the only one that will be in that boat.

Thanks! Rich