ode-user mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: build from trunk failing
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 18:50:53 GMT
On 5/31/07, Rich Taylor <bhamtaylor@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/31/07, Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com> wrote:
> >

> > Hopefully, each new release of Buildr fixes old bugs, without breaking
> > anything new. (For example, 1.1.2 fixes some issues with OS/X, but
> doesn't
> > break any of our builds). But there's always the possibility that we
> might
> > break something, especially when upgrading from, say 1.1.x to 1.2.
> >
> > So the idea we came up with is to freeze the Rakefile to use a
> particular
> > version of Buildr. It's not mandatory when using Buildr, but something
> > we'd
> > like to do in Ode. Ideas on how to make it simpler/better are welcome.
>

> Is there a way to install a particular version of a package using Gem?  If
> so, it might be good to tell people how to install the "Ode" version of
> Buildr when using "gem install buildr".  Or else everyone will likely run
> into the same problem I did.  Unless I'm misunderstanding the problem, I
> am
> new to Ruby, Gem, etc.

To install Buildr 1.1.1:
  gem install buildr -v 1.1.1

I think we need a different solution, fixing releases to a particular
version of Buildr, so the Ode 1.0 release will only build with 1.1.1 since
we only tested with it. But in the trunk itself, maybe allow using the
latest version, or fix only the major.minor version number, e.g:

gem "buildr", "~>1.1"

will pick any 1.1.x version of Buildr.

- When tyring to build, tests failed and I had to dig for a while to find
> > > out about "test=off"
> >

> > We left it as an undocumented feature to discourage people from skipping
> > tests :-)
>

> While I completely agree that people shouldn't be skipping tests, it's not
> always your own code that you're trying to skip tests on.  When someone
> else's tests are broken but you still need to build it, this can be a
> necessary evil.  So I appreciate the goal but I burnt quite a bit of time
> finding "test=off" and I doubt I'm the only one that will be in that boat.

I agree. "test=off" is really useful, it will show up in the documentation
and the recipe page. You can also set the environment variable test to
"off", and then run Buildr multiple times without having to specify the
command line option. Again, something that will show up in the docs.

Assaf

Thanks! Rich