ode-user mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: build from trunk failing
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 18:28:38 GMT
On 5/31/07, Rich Taylor <bhamtaylor@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh...beautiful.  And you're right, the eclipse projects do actually work
> out
> of the box.
>
> As for moving to buildr, what I ran into is:
> - After installing builr using "gem install buildr" it installed buildr
> version 1.1.2.  But when I ran "rake package" in the Ode trunk it said
> something about a wrong version and I had to change my local Rakefile to
> say
> "   gem "buildr", "1.1.2"   ".  Which probably isn't the right approach
> but
> it's working for the moment.

Hopefully, each new release of Buildr fixes old bugs, without breaking
anything new. (For example, 1.1.2 fixes some issues with OS/X, but doesn't
break any of our builds). But there's always the possibility that we might
break something, especially when upgrading from, say 1.1.x to 1.2.

So the idea we came up with is to freeze the Rakefile to use a particular
version of Buildr. It's not mandatory when using Buildr, but something we'd
like to do in Ode. Ideas on how to make it simpler/better are welcome.

- When tyring to build, tests failed and I had to dig for a while to find
> out about "test=off"

We left it as an undocumented feature to discourage people from skipping
tests :-)

Actually, we just haven't documented the testing part of Buildr, that's
coming up in the Buildr 1.2 release, along with a few other improvements for
testing.

- It wasn't clear that "rake eclipse" was available, nor that it's output
> was better than the Maven approach. That could be used as a selling point.

I think Alex volunteered to maintain a page of Buildr recipes, so you can
find all the cool tricks without weeding through pages of documentation.

Assaf

Overall it was fairly painless and it does seem faster.  I would suggest