ode-user mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: How to improve performance
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:13:15 GMT
On 2/14/07, Anne Noseda <noseda.anne@gmail.com> wrote:

> First of all, thanks for the reply ! But I have yet a lot of questions :o)
>
> 1) Use non-persistent processes
> -->I have tried with the <in memory> tag but I have problems : see post
> http://www.nabble.com/JBI---In-memory-process-%3A-NPE-tf3220575.html

Yes, I saw that... I was hoping somebody more familiar with recent changes
in this section of the code would jump in.

2) Disable or reduce the number of (persistent) events generated
> --> You mean that it is possible on each activity to indicate that it must
> be persistent or not ?
> If yes, how do you configure that ?

See http://incubator.apache.org/ode/ode-execution-events.html

3) Beef up your database tier
> --> I have seen that ODE launch a derby database at startup in Servicemix.
> Is it correct ? Is derby a performant database ? If not, wich database do
> you recommend ? And how do you configure the database to use in ODE ?

Derby is the default database -- mostly for convenience.  If you're looking
for performance and higher levels of concurrency, I would recommend MySQL.
There are other good/better databases out there although MySQL is a good
starting point if you have to ask...

> I've seen the Minerva exceptions before. My suggestion there would be to
> use
> a different transaction/resource manager. I think we should consider
> migrating to Jencks (relying on Geronimo's transaction manager) in order
> bring about better stability at this level.
> --> I think that Servicemix uses already jencks : does Ode share
> ressources
> with Servicemix ? How do I change the transaction manager ?

Actually, looking at the code Ode gets its TransactionManager from
ServiceMix.  Minerva is the connection pool provider (resource manager) and
it used by default by Ode.  What I was saying is that we could use Jencks as
well and therefore also leverage Geronimo's JCA resource manager.   This
would require code changes in the JBI module.

Another option is to lookup a DataSource from JNDI.   If you already have a
connection pool defined in your appserver, simply set the "
ode-jbi.db.ext.dataSource" property in ode-jbi.properties to the JNDI name
of your DataSource.

cheers,
alex