mesos-reviews mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Adam B" <a...@mesosphere.io>
Subject Re: Review Request 34655: Use relative url in /help generated links point
Date Fri, 29 May 2015 08:40:09 GMT


> On May 28, 2015, 10:40 a.m., Adam B wrote:
> > Do you clearly understand why this change is needed? I didn't understand after just
reading the JIRA, and had to ask the reporter(s). Mesosphere is hosting the Mesos UI(s) underneath
the DCOS UI behind a reverse proxy, so that `http://<dcos_host:port>/mesos` shows the
Mesos UI, and `http://<dcos_host:port>/mesos/help/foo` should show the appropriate help
path.
> > 
> > How did you test this? Please fill out the "Testing" section appropriately.
> 
> Marco Massenzio wrote:
>     FWIW - this has nothing to do with DCOS and/or reverse proxy: just run Mesos on your
localhost, and you can see the bug in action.
>     Essentially, the URL generating logic is faulty, and adds and extra `/help` segment
to the URL path for the JSON payload.
>     
>     Launch master, open `localhost:5050/help` in your browser and click any of the links;
you'll see a generic 'page not found' - in the URL address, remove the `/help` segment and
you'll see the JSON payload just fine.

I disagree. You may be confused because some of these endpoints do not have their help strings
populated. For those that do, hitting a url like localhost:5050/help/master/tasks.json will
actually show real help information. For those that don't, e.g. localhost:5050/help/master/state.json,
you should see the "No help page for /master/state.json" message.

These /help links are not supposed to take you to the actual json payload for state.json or
tasks.json, but to a help page explaining the usage and description for each endpoint, or
a list of nested endpoints so you can browse to their respective help pages. Remove the `/help`
from the URL and you will get the actual endpoint.

However, in a reverse proxy situation (like DCOS), the Mesos UI might be reached by proxyhost:8080/mesos,
and the links from proxyhost:8080/mesos/help will take you to proxyhost:8080/help/master instead
of proxyhost:8080/mesos/help/master. In this case we still want the `/help` so that we see
the help pages, but we want the links to use relative urls instead of the absolute `/help`.


> On May 28, 2015, 10:40 a.m., Adam B wrote:
> > 3rdparty/libprocess/src/help.cpp, line 140
> > <https://reviews.apache.org/r/34655/diff/1/?file=971486#file971486line140>
> >
> >     Why does this '/help/' need to be removed?
> 
> Marco Massenzio wrote:
>     because it's wrong - it shouldn't be there.

I disagree. We need the `help/` so that we link to the help page nested under this one, but
we don't want it to be an absolute `/help/` in the event of a reverse proxy. The solution
may be as easy as removing the leading `/` from `/help/` on this line.


- Adam


-----------------------------------------------------------
This is an automatically generated e-mail. To reply, visit:
https://reviews.apache.org/r/34655/#review85571
-----------------------------------------------------------


On May 28, 2015, 12:54 a.m., haosdent huang wrote:
> 
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> This is an automatically generated e-mail. To reply, visit:
> https://reviews.apache.org/r/34655/
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> 
> (Updated May 28, 2015, 12:54 a.m.)
> 
> 
> Review request for mesos, Adam B, Marco Massenzio, and Michael Lunøe.
> 
> 
> Bugs: MESOS-2748
>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-2748
> 
> 
> Repository: mesos
> 
> 
> Description
> -------
> 
> Use relative url in /help generated links point
> 
> 
> Diffs
> -----
> 
>   3rdparty/libprocess/src/help.cpp 85e1bdec8d7e8f46477d0f3d88847baeca2dcc9c 
> 
> Diff: https://reviews.apache.org/r/34655/diff/
> 
> 
> Testing
> -------
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> haosdent huang
> 
>


Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message