madlib-user mailing list archives

From Frank McQuillan <fmcquil...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: Apache MADlib next release discussion
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2017 18:43:52 GMT
Thanks Ed for your offer to contribute.  Are you interested in this JIRA:

Support modern versions of gcc
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MADLIB-1025
?
Seems like a gap we should fill.

Looking thru the 2.0 JIRAs, the emerging themes seem to be: performance
improvements, more graph algorithms, misc feature improvements:.  For e.g.,

[performance]
Add mini-batching to IGD framework
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MADLIB-1048

[graph]
HITS
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MADLIB-1124

graph cut
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MADLIB-1074

[feature impr]
k-NN distance functions
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MADLIB-1059

Neural nets grouping
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MADLIB-1149

This seems reasonable to me, to have various different types of things
coming into 1.13 rather than a single theme . The mini-batching is
something I am excited about since it could help performance for a number
of different modules that use gradient descent.

But I'll wait till next week to get more comments from the community before
making any version changes.

Frank