madlib-user mailing list archives

From Ed Espino <esp...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.10-rc1
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2017 18:58:39 GMT
Orhan,

One more mildly interesting thing I noticed, I can't use the gsha512sum and
gmd5sum commands to validate the corresponding checksum values easily. Even
though the commands (see below links) available on the Apache site do
generate correct checksums, they aren't conducive to a quick validation of
them.

   - What Is An MD5 Checksum?
   <https://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html#md5>
   - What is a SHA checksum?
   <https://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html#sha-checksum>

For reference, here are the processes and validation steps we use for the
Apache HAWQ incubator project.  They may be of some use to your project and
help those validating checksums.

   - Create the Release Candidate
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HAWQ/Release+Process%3A+Step+by+step+guide#ReleaseProcess:Stepbystepguide-CreatetheReleaseCandidate>

Hope this helps,
-=e

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Orhan Kislal <okislal@pivotal.io> wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>
> Thanks for the review. One of the comments from the previous release was a
> preference towards a signature with an Apache id. Since Satoshi-san is not
> an Apache committer yet, I took care of the signing process.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Orhan Kislal
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Ed Espino <espino@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > A few MADlib v1.10-rc1 observations from a HAWQ incubator committer.
> >
> >    - The Copyright year (2016) in the NOTICE file needs to be updated to
> >    2017. I believe this can be handled in next release.
> >    - As it still applies, similar to a past comment by Roman ([VOTE]
> MADlib
> >    v1.9.1-rc2
> >    <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/981b4c24eaa2ab069b8e18f7aa4bdd
> > c7a78d3a9dc26bf659af94fcfe@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E>)
> >    - *"* name of the top level folder in the archive is weird. The usual
> >    practice is to call the top level folder as <project name>-<version
> > ID>*"*
> >     (example: *apache-madlib-src-1.10-incubating* instead of
> >    *incubator-madlib*)
> >    - I'm more curious than anything. Why did Orhan sign the release? I
> was
> >    expecting the release manager (Satoshi Nagayasu) to have signed the
> > release.
> >    - Checksums and PGP signature are good.
> >    -  ASF headers check: I spot checked files added (git whatchanged
> >    --diff-filter=A) since the last release. ASF headers look good.  Nice
> > Job!
> >
> > I was going to try and build but I ran past my allotted time limit for
> this
> > review. Hopefully, I can try this soon.
> >
> > Regards,
> > -=ed espino
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Orhan Kislal <okislal@pivotal.io>
> wrote:
> >
> > > +1
> > >
> > > Orhan Kislal
> > >
> > > On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 9:23 AM, Joe Hellerstein <
> > hellerstein@berkeley.edu

> fmcquillan@pivotal.io>

> snaga@uptime.jp>

> for