From "Jens Potthast" <jens.potth...@innovation.uni-bremen.de>
Subject RE: Failing to compile almost all of the solutions projects in Visual Studio
Date Fri, 29 May 2020 12:46:19 GMT
Hi Shad,

Thank you for your fast answer.

Since I'm using the most current Visual Studio (Version 16.6.0), this
shouldn't be the problem in my case. I need to "read into" the info you gave
me and see if I manage to solve my problems.

I'll report back, one way or the other. :-)

Regards,
Jens

-----Original Message-----
From: Shad Storhaug <shad@shadstorhaug.com>
Sent: Freitag, 29. Mai 2020 13:13
To: dev@lucenenet.apache.org
Subject: RE: Failing to compile almost all of the solutions projects in
Visual Studio

Hi Jens,

Based on the error messages, it sounds like the InternalsVisibleTo
attributes aren't being generated. We have recently changed from having them
hard-coded in AssemblyInfo.cs files to having MSBuild generate them in this
commit:

https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/commit/9e65940b4acdb706b478d446320f02d2a
2024ce4

Since you are able to build on the command line, I suspect the problem you
are experiencing is due to an older Visual Studio 2019 version that for some
reason is failing to execute the AddInternalsVisibleTo target. The prime
suspect, IMO is the BeforeTargets="CoreCompile" attribute, in which the
CoreCompile target may not exist in older MSBuild pipelines than what we
have tested on.

<Target Name="AddInternalsVisibleTo" BeforeTargets="CoreCompile" Label="Adds
InternalsVisibleTo Attribute and PublicKey (if supplied)">

According to https://stackoverflow.com/a/11705503, there may be other ways
of doing this that are more reliable, but we adapted the solution from this
blog post:
https://www.meziantou.net/declaring-internalsvisibleto-in-the-csproj.htm.

The only thing that is required is for that target to execute before the
compilation happens so the generated InternalsVisibleTo attributes are
included in the build (and with the public key, since our assemblies are
strong named). So, if you can find a solution that works in your version of
Visual Studio, please submit a PR with the fix.

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)
Project Chairperson - Apache Lucene.NET