From Simon Svensson <si...@devhost.se>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Procedural Change: Use GitHub Issues instead of JIRA
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2020 02:21:24 GMT
+1

// Simon Svensson

On 2020-04-10 13:51, Shad Storhaug wrote:
> Over the years, there have been several mailing list discussions about how the Lucene.NET
project "seems dead" and the one issue I find most striking is the lack of continuity between
contributing on GitHub and the rest of the Apache tools in the arsenal, such as the mailing
lists and the issue tracker of choice, JIRA.

> The problem(s) with using JIRA:
>

>   1.  JIRA requires a separate login than the user already has if they are contributing
on GitHub.
>   2.  JIRA requires special permissions for new users to be able to open issues. It isn't
clear if the defaults are adequate, and if they are not, it isn't clear how to change them.
>   3.  JIRA doesn't use Markdown for posting code snippets, which is a steep learning
curve for people that are used to GitHub Flavored Markdown.
>   4.  Lack of continuity. We pull the potential contributors' attention away from GitHub
and there is no path back. Referring to an issue in a PR or a PR in an issue requires extra
effort to do.
>   5.  Manual work to close issues. GitHub allows users to close issues via commit message
(i.e. fixes #443 or closes #443), but if JIRA has this functionality it requires extra setup.
>   6.  Under-reporting of issues. The fact that it doesn't get a lot of activity and we
hear about issues years after they have been in play pretty much speaks to its usefulness
as gauged by the community.

> To quote the words from Prescott Nasser:
>
> "Weird as PMC Chair and what not - but I will say the thing that always slows me down
is the documentation for what's bring ported now (with appropriate links to the java code),
what needs work, open tickets, etc.

> We have JIRA, but it's not really updated or used much by many, we have the mailing lists
where from time to time someone puts in the work to document all the stuff that is being worked
on (Shad lately has been running with the torch), but we don't have a single place that everyone
can easily get to and see what's going on that is kept up to date."

> Related mailing list issues:
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/98ab7959a476a0bf5320ed1f69a9f511fd51aa42eb8a1ffc731c089f%40%3Cdev.lucenenet.apache.org%3E
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/55908993ce61ced10c2895af54758169d7ff6a4caa123a71ebf5028d%40%3Cdev.lucenenet.apache.org%3E
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c755e39cf729f349c769d67769a5bbf3b826eee73203b3351beab7c4%40%3Cdev.lucenenet.apache.org%3E
>
> However, we can switch to using GitHub issues instead of JIRA, which would seem to fix
all of these problems by moving all issues, PRs, and most communication to a central place
(the place where most people familiar with GitHub expect it to be).

> Michael Condillac and I have been doing some research and it seems it is pretty straightforward
to:

>   1.  Enable GitHub Issues (INFRA ticket or YAML file)
>   2.  Import JIRA tickets into GitHub Issues, including the current JIRA ticket number
(Python script)
>   3.  Update the documentation/website to remove references to JIRA
>   4.  Keep the mailing lists updated with GitHub Issues (Apache's setup does this automatically)
>

> Please vote whether to enable GitHub Issues and deprecate the use of JIRA (feedback also
welcome). Only the PMC votes are counted as official, but we would also appreciate the participation
of the community.