From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject [VOTE] Procedural Change: Use GitHub Issues instead of JIRA
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2020 11:51:53 GMT
Over the years, there have been several mailing list discussions about how the Lucene.NET project
"seems dead" and the one issue I find most striking is the lack of continuity between contributing
on GitHub and the rest of the Apache tools in the arsenal, such as the mailing lists and the
issue tracker of choice, JIRA.

The problem(s) with using JIRA:

  1.  JIRA requires a separate login than the user already has if they are contributing on
GitHub.
  2.  JIRA requires special permissions for new users to be able to open issues. It isn't
clear if the defaults are adequate, and if they are not, it isn't clear how to change them.
  3.  JIRA doesn't use Markdown for posting code snippets, which is a steep learning curve
for people that are used to GitHub Flavored Markdown.
  4.  Lack of continuity. We pull the potential contributors' attention away from GitHub and
there is no path back. Referring to an issue in a PR or a PR in an issue requires extra effort
to do.
  5.  Manual work to close issues. GitHub allows users to close issues via commit message
(i.e. fixes #443 or closes #443), but if JIRA has this functionality it requires extra setup.
  6.  Under-reporting of issues. The fact that it doesn't get a lot of activity and we hear
about issues years after they have been in play pretty much speaks to its usefulness as gauged
by the community.

To quote the words from Prescott Nasser:

"Weird as PMC Chair and what not - but I will say the thing that always slows me down is the
documentation for what's bring ported now (with appropriate links to the java code), what
needs work, open tickets, etc.

We have JIRA, but it's not really updated or used much by many, we have the mailing lists
where from time to time someone puts in the work to document all the stuff that is being worked
on (Shad lately has been running with the torch), but we don't have a single place that everyone
can easily get to and see what's going on that is kept up to date."

Related mailing list issues:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/98ab7959a476a0bf5320ed1f69a9f511fd51aa42eb8a1ffc731c089f%40%3Cdev.lucenenet.apache.org%3E
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/55908993ce61ced10c2895af54758169d7ff6a4caa123a71ebf5028d%40%3Cdev.lucenenet.apache.org%3E
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c755e39cf729f349c769d67769a5bbf3b826eee73203b3351beab7c4%40%3Cdev.lucenenet.apache.org%3E

However, we can switch to using GitHub issues instead of JIRA, which would seem to fix all
of these problems by moving all issues, PRs, and most communication to a central place (the
place where most people familiar with GitHub expect it to be).

Michael Condillac and I have been doing some research and it seems it is pretty straightforward
to:

  1.  Enable GitHub Issues (INFRA ticket or YAML file)
  2.  Import JIRA tickets into GitHub Issues, including the current JIRA ticket number (Python
script)
  3.  Update the documentation/website to remove references to JIRA
  4.  Keep the mailing lists updated with GitHub Issues (Apache's setup does this automatically)

Please vote whether to enable GitHub Issues and deprecate the use of JIRA (feedback also welcome).
Only the PMC votes are counted as official, but we would also appreciate the participation
of the community.

+1 - Let's switch to GitHub Issues
0 - Either JIRA or GitHub Issues will do
-1 - Let's stick with JIRA

Countdown to end of vote (72 Hours from now 2020-04-13 11:55AM): https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?p0=136&iso=20200413T1255

This is a procedural vote - majority rules.

Regards,

Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

Project Chairperson - Apache Lucene.NET