From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: Next release due
Date Sun, 22 Mar 2020 12:44:12 GMT
Hi Michael,

To help us close some small issues, doing a search through the entire solution to see TODO
items specific to Lucene.NET using a "Edit > Find and Replace > Find in files" in Visual
Studio can be done to find issues that are still open (many of which are not in JIRA). To
find them, search for the string "LUCENENET TODO|LUCENE TO-DO" using the Regex option.

To be more specific, here are a couple of examples:

1. Replace all private/internal nested IComparer<T> implementations (usually including
the word "Anonymous" in the name) with the Comparer.Create() method (see: https://stackoverflow.com/a/28533921).
This will eliminate a lot of unnecessary classes and make the code correspond to Java better,
which uses anonymous classes to achieve similar code inlining. If you are unsure if one needs
to be converted to inline code rather than a concrete class, check the Java implementation
to see if it is inline (https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/tree/releases/lucene-solr/4.8.0/lucene).

2. Change overloads of OpenStringBuilder.Append(charsequence, start, end) to OpenStringBuilder.Append(charsequence,
startIndex, charCount) to match the conventions in .NET (https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/blob/1274197c39b4b229af7c6734d35840ff21d47e97/src/Lucene.Net.Analysis.Common/Analysis/Util/OpenStringBuilder.cs#L98).
In Java, the convention is to use start index and end index to select text in a string, but
in .NET, the corresponding convention is to use start index and length (count).

Once you make the changes and have tested them thoroughly, just open a pull request on GitHub
for review: https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/pulls

There are several other ways to help including answering questions on our user mailing list
and on StackOverflow, blogging about Lucene.NET, and helping us to find bugs and bottlenecks.
See https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#other-ways-to-help for
some inspiration. However, closing remaining issues in JIRA and in ICU4N are what will move
us closer to release.

Regards,
Shad Storhaug
Project Chairperson - Apache Lucene.NET