From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: Next release due
Date Sun, 22 Mar 2020 08:21:59 GMT
Michael,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Lucene.NET is open source and all of its contributors are volunteers that work on their own
schedule, so it is difficult to give you an exact timeframe that it will be released in. However,
we have recently been keeping an updated list of remaining tasks and time estimates, which
indicate we are roughly 700-800 hours away from completion, with about 1/3 of that time being
the completion of the ICU4N project (https://github.com/NightOwl888/ICU4N) (our biggest dependency).
So far, there have been roughly 4600 hours contributed toward the release, so we are almost
there. The remaining tasks today are roughly 60% of what we had in August 2019.

All of the high priority items have been put into JIRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET)
and on GitHub issues in the case of ICU4N (https://github.com/NightOwl888/ICU4N/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3Abeta).
Anything marked up-for-grabs is something that anyone can start to work on if they wish to
contribute. Let me know if you need any suggestions for small tasks that can be done in a
small amount of time to get familiar with the project and the Apache process.

At our current rate it may be well into next year (2021) for a stable release, but we could
shorten that timeframe significantly (6 months or less) if more people were willing to help
out with getting the remaining tasks done. After the stable release of Lucene.NET 4.8.0, we
also have a plan to upgrade from Lucene 4.8.0 to Lucene 8.x in around 1700 hours by only porting
over the changes (delta) between the releases.

But the bottom line is, we need more contributions to get over the finish line in a reasonable
timeframe. If you could contribute some of your time, it would mean a lot to the thousands
of users that depend on Lucene.NET.

Regards,
Shad Storhaug
Project Chairperson - Apache Lucene.NET