From "Michael Condillac" <mich...@bongohr.org>
Subject RE: Next release due
Date Sun, 22 Mar 2020 09:49:35 GMT
Hi Shad,

Sounds like good progress has been made up to now. I do have some additional
capacity right now so perhaps I can be of some help. I did pull the source
code already but perhaps you could give me some pointers on where the best
place to start might be?

If you think there are some small tasks that I could meaningfully help with
I'd be happy to take a look.

Thanks
Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Shad Storhaug <shad@shadstorhaug.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2020 3:22 PM
To: dev@lucenenet.apache.org
Subject: RE: Next release due

Michael,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Lucene.NET is open source and all of its contributors are volunteers that
work on their own schedule, so it is difficult to give you an exact
timeframe that it will be released in. However, we have recently been
keeping an updated list of remaining tasks and time estimates, which
indicate we are roughly 700-800 hours away from completion, with about 1/3
of that time being the completion of the ICU4N project
(https://github.com/NightOwl888/ICU4N) (our biggest dependency). So far,
there have been roughly 4600 hours contributed toward the release, so we are
almost there. The remaining tasks today are roughly 60% of what we had in
August 2019.

All of the high priority items have been put into JIRA
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET) and on GitHub issues in
the case of ICU4N
(https://github.com/NightOwl888/ICU4N/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+mileston
e%3Abeta). Anything marked up-for-grabs is something that anyone can start
to work on if they wish to contribute. Let me know if you need any
suggestions for small tasks that can be done in a small amount of time to
get familiar with the project and the Apache process.

At our current rate it may be well into next year (2021) for a stable
release, but we could shorten that timeframe significantly (6 months or
less) if more people were willing to help out with getting the remaining
tasks done. After the stable release of Lucene.NET 4.8.0, we also have a
plan to upgrade from Lucene 4.8.0 to Lucene 8.x in around 1700 hours by only
porting over the changes (delta) between the releases.

But the bottom line is, we need more contributions to get over the finish
line in a reasonable timeframe. If you could contribute some of your time,
it would mean a lot to the thousands of users that depend on Lucene.NET.

Regards,
Shad Storhaug
Project Chairperson - Apache Lucene.NET