From Simon Svensson <si...@devhost.se>
Subject Re: [Vote] Apache Lucene.Net 4.8.0-beta00006
Date Sun, 11 Aug 2019 07:47:19 GMT
+1

This looks awesome.

// Simon Svensson

On 2019-08-10 00:42, Shad Storhaug wrote:
> It’s hard to believe almost 2 years went by without a fresh release, but it’s definitely
time for a new one.

> This release includes some critical stability and performance updates:
>

>   1.  ConcurrentMergeScheduler has been patched so it no longer causes a fatal crash
upon a merge failure
>   2.  TaskMergeScheduler also had a bug where it was supposed to throw an exception on
merge failure, but didn’t
>   3.  CanonPath in FileSupport.cs was made thread-safe (Thanks Mathew and Aaron!)
>   4.  Another concurrency issue was patched in NativeFSLockFactory (Thanks sourceist!)
>   5.  Tests have been setup to run on Linux and macOS, and we discovered many culture
sensitivity and a few cross-platform bugs that have been patched.

> In addition, the Lucene.Net.ICU functionality is now (finally) feature-complete, we have
added strong naming, the lucene-cli tool has been packaged up for release on NuGet so it can
be installed using dotnet.exe, and all NuGet packages now support .NET Standard 2.0 in addition
to .NET Standard 1.6 and .NET Framework 4.5.

> Upon this release, we can resolve the following open JIRA issues:
>
> LUCENENET-603 - ConcurrentMergeScheduler crashes the application if a transient error
occurs
> LUCENENET-607 - InvalidCastException PendingTerm cannot be cast to PendingBlock
> LUCENENET-573 - Make IcuBreakIterator more like the JDK's BreakIterator.getInstance()
> LUCENENET-446 - Make Lucene.Net CLS Compliant
> LUCENENET-608 - Add strong-naming to Lucene.Net to comply with Microsoft guidelines
> LUCENENET-563 - Port Lucene.Net.Demo
> LUCENENET-566 - Port Lucene.Net.Analysis.ICU
> LUCENENET-588 - Create unified CLI tool to wrap all Lucene maintenance tools and demos
for .NET

> And these issues may also be addressed by the completion of the ICU functionality, but
need to confirm:

> LUCENENET-604 - Search text without accent to get text has accent
> LUCENENET-599 - Fine-grained segmentation tools with vectorHighlight will cause bug
>
> The testing time has been significantly reduced by the latest .NET Core SDK and by running
the tests in parallel. What used to take about 2-3 hours from the command line can now be
done in about 45 minutes, so hopefully you won’t fall asleep this time waiting for the tests
to complete 😊. Do note that I noticed an issue with the tests not running from build.bat
if the folder that the source code is unzipped to has spaces or parenthesis in it – there
is just an escaping issue. Put the source in a folder with no spaces or parenthesis and the
tests run fine.

> Things are a bit in flux at the moment with the release process, but here is what we
have put together now:

> Test results of this release build: https://dev.azure.com/lucene-net/Lucene.NET/_build/results?buildId=6&view=ms.vss-test-web.build-test-results-tab
> Build artifacts can be downloaded from: https://dev.azure.com/lucene-net/Lucene.NET/_build/results?buildId=6&view=results
> And of course also from the official Apache dist repo: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucenenet/
>
> The tag is: https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/releases/tag/Lucene.Net_4_8_0_beta00006
> There is a NuGet package feed here: https://pkgs.dev.azure.com/lucene-net/_packaging/lucene-net-release-vote/nuget/v3/index.json
>
> But do note the NuGet feed is not public (as per Apache’s policies) and I will need
to grant access to the Azure DevOps project to all committers and PMC so it can be accessed.
I will send invites, but if you have a preferred email that you want to use to login to Azure
DevOps with, please email me the address shad -AT- shadstorhaug.com.

> This vote will close no sooner than 72 hours from now, i.e. sometime after 22:30 UTC
12-August-2019. All Lucene.NET committers, PMC members, and dev mailing list members are encouraged
to participate in the voting process. We only count the PMC as official votes, but the feedback
of the community is also valuable.